Monday, October 10, 2016

Preventing Jet Lag

Going to see new places is always exciting. Sometimes going to a new place such another state or even someehwere out the country, 9 times out of 10 you may not be in the same time zone as you would be if you were at home. By that, i mean... it may be 10pm at home but in your vacation spot it may be 6pm. Your body may become jet lag due to the fact that it is still use to its original time zone. Jet lag is no fun because it can cause you to lose sleep or just not enjoy your vacation. However, I am here to give you tips on what to do if you do become jet lag but most of all how to prevent getting jet lag.

Jet lag is a sleep disorder for people who travels frequently across different time zones. Jet lag occurs when your body is still on its original time clock but you try to make it adjust to the time zone that you are  in. This can cause daytime fatigue and other complications. Some signs and symptoms of jet lag is:
  • Disturbed sleep — such as insomnia, early waking or excessive sleepiness
  • Daytime fatigue
  • Difficulty concentrating or functioning at your usual level
  • Stomach problems, constipation or diarrhea
  • A general feeling of not being well
  • Mood changes 
The more time zones that you cross the worse your jet lag can get. 

Ways you can prevent getting jet lag is to arrive early. Arriving a few days prior will give your body time to adjust to the time zone. You can also get plenty of rest because ig you start off sleepy than your going to make it worse.Try to adjust to the time zone that you are traveling to, if your going east try to sleep one hour earlier. 

If you do travel and get jet lag, caffeine helps alot with onset sleepiness. You can also get your body adjusted to light and go for a jog to get that energy flowing through your body. Jet lag usually goes away on its on and does not last more than a few days. However, if you are traveling to a different time zone prepare your body for it so you will be able to enjoy your vacation and have a healthy travel.


 Staff, B. M. (2016, April 20). Jet lag disorder. Retrieved October 10, 2016, from http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/jet-lag/basics/definition/con-20032662 

11 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your post and the information that you had to offer. I've heard of the term jet lag but I never really knew what it meant until now. I never knew that traveling somewhere where the time zone is different could have this effect on someone. I also really like the background that you chose, it goes perfectly with your topic. Overall awesome post and I love how you provided tips on how to prevent jet lag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This information was really interesting! I've only ever been a plane 3 or 4 times so this was all news to me. Over the summer, i experienced major jet lag when I got home from Myrtle Beach. Now reading that if you travel east, you should sleep one hour earlier makes sense. I wish I knew this info ration earlier, but I'm glad i know it for the future. It is very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, I love the background you used for your blog. It is perfectly fitting for your topic. I also think this post is really interesting, even though I am afraid of flying and traveling (I am weird, I know). I think it's important to know what jet lag is because so many people DO travel and many people do not know just how serious it can be. I never knew just how serious the symptoms of jet lag could be. Thanks for informing me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom lives in Texas, and before that she lived in Miami. I would always travel to visit her, at least once a month. I would sometimes experience jet lag when I used to go to Miami, so I found this post very informative. I didn't know that caffeine helps with jet lag! Great info!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This topic is very interesting because you help me learn a new word which is jag lag. I never been out of the country so the tip that you gave was very helpful. I believe that this information is important to people who travel a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to travel a lot when i was little and always experienced jet lag. Now i travel about once a year. I usually go to florida where the time is about an hour ahead. It really affects my sleep schedule because when my friends are used to the time, they're tired before me. I did not know that caffeine helps jet lag. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am getting ready to travel to Las Vegas in November so this post will definitely come in handy! Our flights are very early and you have to party as soon as you get to Vegas. Naps are not in the agenda so I will most certainly be using some of your tips! My downfall is drinking on the plane and then I am super exhausted by the time I arrive at my destination! So I'll make sure not to do that this time :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you have gave great information about safe traveling. Eventhough I have been out the country your tips are still very helpful. I will try a couple this winter break when I go to Atlanta

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought this post was very interesting!! you talked about somethings I never really thought about. I also liked how toy posted a few tips about preventing jet lag.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post was very interesting! I personally have never experienced jet lag, so these tips a very helpful to me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I dont travel often, but next time I do fly I will remember this blog post. I loved the topic because of how different it is! Jet lag can throw off the whole first day of a trip. Good job!

    ReplyDelete